Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Default replace grindstone wheels or new bench grinder?

Chris Bacon wrote:
Dave wrote:

robgraham wrote:
First, a grind stone is on a mission to re-model your face if not
installed correctly.

The rests and guards should be adjusted properly to minimise danger.

When it comes to mounting a new wheel on a grind stone, I would favour
a lot of caution, unless you have had some training of how to do it
and the dangers that can come out of this simple exercise.

The grinding wheels I bought ad Aldi have quite good instructions in
the packet, including one to run up the machine for some time after
fitting a new wheel, before using it.

That is good news. It looks as if things have improved over the years. I
have not had to replace a wheel yet and I will be 60 next month. But I
am aware of the dangers.

snip

I have been in engineering for well over 40 years and I remember
seeing a grind stone wheel bursts and it went clean through a brick wall.

I bet it wasn't a 200W 6" one from Aldi (or similar).

LOL no :-)

It was a big bugger though :-)

I remember my training as an apprentice on a centre grinder. I was
taught to back off the grind stone three turns of the wheel before
stopping the machine to take a measurement. Trouble was, I didn't do
that once and when I went to advance the stone 3 turns forwards, to
re-grind, I got lots of stone in my face. It taught me a lesson for life.

Second. Buy and spew is an acronyms for a well known DIY store where
the folk that work there wear red or orange pinnies (dependant on the
size of the store).
They sell cheap tools for the DIYer. That is why I stated that if the
grind stone wants a new wheel, then the best bet is to buy one of
theirs. At least then, you can get compensation from them if anything
goes wrong from a badly fitted wheel.

That's too late. One of my pet gripes is that anyone at all can buy
power tools of all description without even being advised how to
use them, and the dangers.

Sadly, yes. But if they sold a grind stone that had a badly balanced
wheel, at least you would know that they would be held responsible for it.

If B&Q or whoever put on an evening hour
of tuition, even for the price of a pint, it would be *much better*.

That would be an excellent idea. I wonder if they would take it up?

Dave