Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

Default We Had Hail, Should I Make A Claim?

On Tue, 09 May 2006 01:47:23 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

gsd wrote:
Do you have any thoughts on if I should make a claim of hail damage,
or just pay for the roof myself?

some facts:

-The roof needed replacing before the hail

-I'm sure the hail caused some extra damage

-I can afford do have it repaired without making a claim

Maybe this is more of an insurance question. Will the claim make my
rates go up so that it's not worth it? I have a $500 deductable.

I suggest you call the insurance company. I called mine and they sent
someone out. I really did not think I had any real damage, although some
neighbors had ripped up screens.

The adjusted asked me to come out and he showed me the damage. They
covered a new roof (original was about 13 years old) and not only did not
get a rate increase the rate went down a little the next year.

My experience almost exactly. Hail did damage that was far greater
than I thought. I did not really expect any adjustment and ended up
with a full replacement less deductible.

Impact on insurance premium was minimal. Increase the next year was
mostly inflationary (higher coverage from appreciation of the
property). The only impact was when I asked the independent agent to
shop all his carriers a couple of years later, he said I needed to
wait a while longer because I couldn't get a preferred rate with
another company within so many years of a major claim. I think it was
three years.

Frank