Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping Bruce Bergman

Depending on where the building is located, you may have other
problems. Certainly there is a transformer somewhere feeding the
building. If it's an OLD building, you will see three of them on a
pole. If relatively new, you can find either an above ground or a
buried 3 phase transfomer. The power to the building is limited to the
KVA rating of that transformer. Short of replacing the distribution
transformer, no amount of work on your customer's site will give him
more power.

We discovered that the hard way when we had to replace a reflow oven in
our electronic assembly plant. We occupy one suite in a building in a
"light" industrial area. We share a 150 KVA transformer with two other
suites. Short of replacing the transformer for the land lord, we had to
disconnect our plastic injection molding operation in order to power
the new oven.

You also need to inspect the meter circuit where the power enters the
building. What are the maximum power ratings on the meters? Does the
whole entry panel support more KVA than is currently being used? We had
to add a third meter to power the injection molding equipment when it
was first installed. I think each meter was limited to 150A on each
phase.

Gets pretty complicated after while!

Paul in Redmond, OR