Ian Timshel

Default Clock making the old fashioned way

Tom Del Rosso squeezed out:

After seeing the A&E movie "Longitude" about the Harrison clocks, I
got to wondering what tools and methods old time clock makers and
machinists
use. Does anybody do stuff like gear making by hand today?

"Old time" did not necessarily mean without tools.. There are many
good books on the subject of tools.

Check out this guys rather traditional approach. I had a great talk
with him recently at the Estevan Model Engineers show. His fusee
cutting engine is amazing. Very traditional skill set.. heh

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/rronnie/

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Ronnie.htm

Jerry was a ton of fun as well. He was cutting balance staffs on a
Sherline lathe... or at least claiming to. He handed me a demo he had
done many of for Sherline events that was claimed to be a 3/4" shaft
cut in six passes down to .009" then drilled a .005" hole in the end..
All that struck me when I was looking at it was that he nailed the hole
dead centre.. eheh very nice workmanship.

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Kieffer.htm

For the time being, all these links and more can be accessed via
http://clocker.hypermart.net

Cheers! Ian.