Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Default Compression fittings...

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
John wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Would you resist using a blowtorch if you were using solder joints?

This is what PTFE is for,

********!!

very rarely can a watertight seal be achieved without it....they just
don't tighten up properly.

A compression fitting is DESIGNED to give a watertight (and gas tight
- with the correct fiiting) with only itself and the olive. PTFE
tape is not a '"must include" extra for every fitting. If done
correctly a compression fitting WILL be leak free without PTFE.

HTH

John

I have to agree with him Phillip PTFE was primarily a temporary fix
solution in the early days of it appearing on the market until a
satisfactory job was known to be good.

As the man said...
"If done correctly a compression fitting WILL be leak free without PTFE".

The _continuing_ problem in this country, is the lack of standardisation. If
only we just had the metric system here, we wouldn't have these problems.
A memory from the motor trade: At one time, there were three different
thread types used on a BSA Bantam m/cycle swinging rear fork spindle: BSF,
UNF fine, and Cycle.
Another memory: The early Morris Minor cars (split windscreen, sidevalve
engine) had mostly BSF threads, but the gearbox had Metric fine threaded
bolts. I could go on!!!

I think that the problem with compression joints is the possible mix of
English (1/2 inch, 3/4 inch) and Metric (15 m/m,
22 m/m) sizes.
I only have a small amount of DIY experience, by the way.

P.S. I've just changed the partition beads, and the two inner cords on a
small sash window. I wonder how much I would have been charged for this by a
professional person?

Sylvain.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite