Bob Swinney

Default Bloody cap screws...

Thanks, Harold. Good idea on the handles. I think I will make some to go
on the gib screws of my cross slide vice.

Bob Swinney
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

"Robin S." wrote in message
I have to work on Chinese/Taiwanese lathes at work. For some reason,

they
decided to have every single clamping screw, that didn't have a handle
attached, a cap screw.

Cap screws are fine and dandy until they get filled up with coolant and
chips and I have to fiddle-fart around with them every time I want to

move
the depth stop or compound or saddle clamp.

Of course, by the end of making a part, I'm super-****ed due to these

stupid
screws and having to use a lathe graduated in .04mm increments (learning

how
to count in 4's now) and who knows how many millimetres/rev (inch
leadscrews).

Anyway, has anyone thought up some kind of clamping fastener that

doesn't
require a tool but fits into counterbored screw holes? I'm mostly

venting
(perhaps someone will enlighten me as to why they do this???) but I do

like
to make things easier for myself. There's nothing I hate more than to

have
to fiddle around with a machine instead of with the part I'm trying to

make.

/rant

Regards,

Robin

Hard to say if it would be a solution in your case, but I've often silver
soldered a small handle on the tops of bolts so I didn't have to reach for

wrench constantly. This, of course, works only when you don't have to
tighten them real tight. For example, I have a little Wells A-7 cut off
saw. The speed change is made by moving the belt, so the bolt on the

motor
clamp received one of the handles. Saves a lot of time and effort, and

is
adequate to the task at hand.

Harold