Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Septic Tank question

On Tue, 09 May 2006 13:30:08 GMT, Robert Gammon
wrote:

Crusader george wrote:
Our septic tank backed up. Popped the top and a think "cake" floated on
top of the first chamber. when moved away from the inlet the clog eased.
we had the pumping done. but you know the first chamber was not full.
It had only been three years since pumping. when we bought the place.
The question is what caused this floating mass? It seems full of air.
Could an exceptionally wet year, 163% of normal could be the cause?

Normal. It is a wad of undigested grease, air, plastic. Normal pumping
is about 2-3 years anyway, some do it annually.

What he said. ALthough I'm mildly curious, was the dross blocking
the OUTFLOW or the inflow? And what happened to the baffle?
My cess-pit has a down-turned bend at the outflow pipe,
so you'd have to have around 24" of scuz as the top layer,
before it started blocking fluid-flow. The stuff that exits
the pit comes from about 1/4 of the way down.