jim rozen

Default I guess I'm part of the problem

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

Now I see it from your eyes, and, yes, we are both saying the same thing.
There's no way in hell we can survive with things as they are. For
workers to come to terms with the fact (yes, it is a fact, almost to the
man, we are all overpaid when it comes to our VALUE) that we are not
competitive in the world market and will lose our jobs as a result if we do
not adjust our expectations and our hourly rate, removing the advantage
corporations are now enjoying by moving to foreign countries.

But this is something that will happen on its own. The market
will 'give the pay cut' if it's going to happen. There's
no need to rush out and volunteer!

Ed seems to ridicule my suggestion that the jobs are headed for other
countries, something that baffles me no end,

How odd, because Ed's comments on this subject, which began
nearly a year ago, made it painfully clear that he was predicting
exactly *that* - a departure of manufacturing jobs to china.
He's been saying that all along, and I quote his "1/20th"
number almost every day. Frankly it seems like *every*
*single* person I meet has this exact issue on their mind,
and they are struggling to wrap their mind around the concept.

But there is no head-in-the-sand effect with any of them.

for just as I'm typing this,
Susan just brought to my attention the fact that AT&T is shipping work to
India because of the lower cost of doing business there. It was just
mentioned on the news. I have no clue what will be shipped, but,
according to Susan, they made explicit mention of the fact that it was
cheaper to go to India than to remain here, at least with that particular
project. Sigh!

That's right, Verizon is laying off and buying workers out.
Will the work still get done? Yes, but offshore wherever
possible.

You can be darn sure that the laid off verizon workers will
*not* be shopping around for a brand new car. All of a sudden
the market that GM predicted just shrank a tiny bit - so the
predicted profit they would achieve by selling a car, with
an engine made in china, just vaporized.

I personally think that after 10 years, the overall
equilibrium in the economy will be much clearer. Until
then, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Jim

please reply to: