Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

Default Heat source for heat shrink

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:
(GregS) wrote in
:

In article ,
wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:52:53 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Dan spake thus:

Jim Yanik wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

What do people here use for heat shrink tubing?

I'm tired of using matches, and a butane pencil torch seems like
overkill.

an electric heat gun.
Harbor Freight sells them VERY inexpensively.
I imagine some better hair dryers would also work.

I have one of those HF guns. Also works fine but of course you
have to plug it in somewhere ;-)

I thought about a heat gun; we're talking about those things that are
basically glorified blow dryers, right?

I think they are basically a blow dryer with the element closer to the
end of the blower tube...blow dryers have pretty-well maxed out the
wattage of a 120 VAC circuit.

The Ungar has a narrow opening and has different tips to control the
flow some more. Its about 600 watts. Will melt solder at about 600 to
700 degrees.

That was the Princess model;is it still being sold by Ungar?

I don't know if its called Princess
http://www.elexp.com/sdr_1095.htm