Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Copper Plated Cams

I often see cams that are copper plated everywhere but on the face of
the gear teeth and on the actual ground working surface of the cam
lobes. Why is this done? Is it used as a heat treat mask? I would
suspect that the case depth of the gear teeth would be less than that
desired on the lobes if it is a relativly fine pitch gear. Is it
carburized twice? Once for the gear teeth and then a second time for
the cam lobes with aditional mask applied in between?
Why not use the paint on masks that are available?
Thanks
Mark