Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Default collapsed compression joints

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "." contains these words:

Well, I've never had a compression joint leak and those I've taken
apart have all had the olive pressed into the tube slightly. If that
isn't deformed I don't know what is.
I'm using "deformed" in the sense of "taken beyond its elastic
limit". You may be using some other meaning.

perhaps deformed was too strong a term for /compressed/ ?

No, compressed is something different. To my mind it implies the
ability to spring back, which pipe won't do after an olive has been
squashed on to it.

why call it a /compression/ joint then ? in your world it would be
called a deformation joint which it isn't, it's a /compression/ joint.
methinks you're splitting hairs, why is anyones guess but if the
copper *tube* /deforms/ the joint is and will be defective.