Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default 3-phase extension cords; 50'?

On 8 May 2006 21:12:00 -0700, "Bernard Arnest"
wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to run a 50' extension cord to power a 3-phase 5hp
motor?

My latest word on starting a forge is that it may have to be outside
but stored inside. I still want a hydraulic press. I didn't know if
for higher-power electric machinery extension cords might be considered
less than safe...? Or, so long as I buy/build it to handle the
amperage and attach the right plugs, there's no reason that it
shouldn't work just fine?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

Ive got a couple 100' 3 phase extentsion cords I use regularly, and
some 50' ones. Some are #10, most are #8.

An extension cord is no more and no less than 100 feet of conduit. You
just have to make sure you use the right size wire inside.

Gunner

Now why doesn't this surprise me one bit?

That's easy.... you're too dull witted to be capable of surprise. What
little synaptic ability you do possess is stretched to the limit with
life support. If you diverted power to the critical thought processors
you'd asphyxiate in a matter of minutes.

George Orwell