Posted to uk.d-i-y
G.W. Walker

Default collapsed compression joints

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
Redeye wrote:
i've come to the conclusion that i've followed bad advice which is
probably the cause of the problem. i'd also been warned not to
overtighten compression joints, but advice here seems to suggest that
isn't possible.

Use proper open ended spanners and tighten them till they groan. You won't
overtighten them unless using something silly like large Stilsons.

Yup, all the joints that I'd convinced myself were leaking
cos I'd over-tightened them turned out to be not tight
enough. Just an extra 1/8 turn was all that was needed for
most of them.

G.