Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow

Default collapsed compression joints

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
I think it is. If you tighten it up as far as it will go, if you need
to take the joint apart at any future date you'll have a hard time
getting it watertight again as there's nothing left to compress.

Not so - once the olive is compressed on the pipe it remains compressed.
The tapers on the olive and body are then the seal - and if in good
condition will seal again ok even if moved round. However, an old fitting
may well have some corrosion on the seats due to electrolytic action and
if so will be difficult to seal.

.... and that's the one time I put some PTFE tape on the olive. To form
a new seat.

R.