Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev

Default A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

wrote:

On Mon, 08 May 2006 10:32:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

How do you define a "commercial orange"?

A mass produced hybrid, grown on lots of pesticides and chemicals,
with a perfect skin that is designed to transport well. They are
usually picked green and dyed "orange".
If you live near a place where homegrown oranges are popular you know
the difference.

I buy oranges at the ethnic produce stores. Quality is variable, but
generally good. Sometimes they have good oranges with imperfect dye
jobs.

The Washington Navels (original tree, from Brazil, is apparently in
Riverside and still bearing) seem to be grown both at home and
commercially and seem very good. My dwarf produced three oranges two
years ago and all were excellent. I expect LOTS this year unless all
the tinies fall off again.

This is basically the same thing as the difference between grocery
store tomatoes and homegrown.

I grew some "heirloom" tomatoes one year. One or two tomatoes per plant
(my fault, probably, they're in 5-gallon containers) and not actually
all that different from the better store-bought ones. You get the most
bang/buck with cherry tomatoes.

--
Cheers,
Bev