Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

Default Jet mini opinions: VS or not?

That's exactly my opinion as well. For the small stuff like pens run on top
speed. For bowls down to the other end for roughing. Belt changes can be
minimal.
billh

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
. ..
Well, the Jet Mini does not have a Reeves drive. Speed control is
accomplished with a rheostat and swapping the belt on the step pulleys. I
understand that it takes both the rheostat and the step pulleys to get the
whole range of speeds. I have a Jet Mini without VS and it works just
fine without it. For a small lathe, you really don't need VS. It is very
nice on larger lathes like the PM 3520, Stubbys, Oneways and others.

Barry

"mac davis" wrote in message
I'm helping my brother get back into turning and he's pretty sure that
the Jet
mini is what he wants...
His problem is that he likes the size and low noise level of the mini but
sort
of likes the reeves drive on my Jet 1442... but no store that we went to
had a
mini with VS to look at..

Has anyone had experience on the mini with AND without the reeves?

I really can't be objective, since I've had a Shopsmith for years and
both it
and the 1442 have the reeves type while my mini doesn't...

Anyone here that has used both and has pro/con comments?

thanks..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis