Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default Question about staining picture frames

I'm constructing some frames for some large pictures. It'll be a fairly
standard frame, mitered edged joined together with a slotted cut at the
corners.

My question has to do with the order of construction, staining and
laquering. Do I first construct the frame and then stain it? Or should
I stain the pieces first and then put them together?

The reason I ask is ... it seems that staining the frame after I put it
together runs the risk of producing dark lines at the mitered edges
where the wood pieces meet. What "seems" to make the most sense is to
have everything ready to construct (ie, pieces all cut to fit), then
stain the pieces, then construct the frame, and finally to laquer it.

This way, the laquer helps to "fill" the minute crack where the mitered
edges meet.

BUT ... I might have this all wrong. Is there some standard approach to
doing this?

Jack