Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Moore

Default 3-phase extension cords; 50'?

You could use one of the mobile home power cords but a lighter cord should
work fine. A 10/4 or 10/3 with ground and a good jacket should enough to
run the motor with little loss. Definitely use the ground connection to
protect yourself. Verify both ends. (Actually, 12/3 w/ground is probably
enough, but I always like a little overkill).
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"Bernard Arnest" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Is it possible to run a 50' extension cord to power a 3-phase 5hp
motor?

My latest word on starting a forge is that it may have to be outside
but stored inside. I still want a hydraulic press. I didn't know if
for higher-power electric machinery extension cords might be considered
less than safe...? Or, so long as I buy/build it to handle the
amperage and attach the right plugs, there's no reason that it
shouldn't work just fine?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest