Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default 3-phase: how to tell amperage/voltage?

Machines like that and yours don't plug into the wall. They get wired
directly into the power panel or into a power switch box that then goes
to the panel.

By all means contact facilities before they put you into the forge!!!

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Bernard Arnest wrote:
Hi,

After an 8-month-long search, I may finally have found a space
on campus for a forge.

For my forge I want a hydraulic press, which = power hungry

The room is shared by a bridgeport mill, a lathe, and a metal
bandsaw, which I'm told run on 3-phase.

I'm new to this. I know that with standard household power, all
outlets are 15amp, unless one contact is turned 90 degrees, and then
you know it's 20amps.

I'll visit the shop again tomorrow or tuesday and examine it
more closely. How do I tell the voltage and amperage of this 3-phase
circuit, so I know how much I can load onto it? The press would
benefit from a 5-10 hp motor, so I need to know if it could handle that
power. How do I find out; are there specific plug types to recognize--
if you even use plugs?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest