Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Default replace grindstone wheels or new bench grinder?

long ironer wrote:

Opinions please.

Subject: Sealey 1/2hp 150mm bench grinder, vintage late 80s, with fine
& coarse wheels, both 19mm wide x 12mm bore. The coarse wheel appears
to have almost worn down to a bare steel core. It is only lightly used
& mainly for refreshing tools, but sometimes for rougher work on steel.

I would think that you have a wheel size of 3/4 of an inch wide with a
bore of 1/2 an inch and a diameter of 6 inches. I am guessing that the
imperial sizes are still with us on this subject.

The few replacement wheels I've found on the web seem to be in the
price range GBP5 to 15, but none are the exact size. However new bench
grinders appear to be available from GBP25 up to several 100s.

What's the best option?

If you are not experienced at fitting a grind stone wheel, then buy a
new machine. The fitting of a new wheel to an old machine requires some
skill and training. Better to let some one else do the dangerous bit. If
the wheel bursts when you are stood in front of it, it can take out your
eye sight.

A. New 150mm machine: advantages are new bearings (I'd hate to be
working on a grinder when the bearings fail), and at the lower cost end
price looks much the same as 2 new wheels. Any suggestions as to
make/model/power/speed rating for reasonable quality please?

I can't really comment about the quality, other than to say that any
manufacturer of a grindstone is not going to sell something where the
wheel will explode and take out your eyes. It is just not worth it for
them to cut corners on this.

I have a buy and spew grind stone. I have had no problems with it, but I
do not push it. If you need to use it for rough work, then I would
suggest an angle grinder, one of the cheaper ones will do you for this
work. Look on it as a consumable and throw it away when you have a
problem with it. They can be bought for about 15 pounds for a 4 inch
disk type, a little more for a larger one.

By the way, replacement wheels for an angle grinder are designed for
morons to change, where as a grindstone wheel is designed for an expert
to change.

B. New 200mm machine? Q - are 200mm bench grinders significantly
better than 150mm ones? Ditto as to make etc

I'll let others answer that, it is not my field.

C. Find source for replacement wheels - anyone know of a source for
bench grinder wheels please?

I would advise against this. See above.

Dave