Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch

Default My next bit of finishing ignorance

Greg Guarino wrote in
:

snip
What is synthetic steel wool and why do I want it? (as opposed to
regular steel wool) And you *apply* the wax with steel wool? I'll have
to try that.

Synthetic steel wool is a plastic-like substance. Green dishwashing
scrubbies are one variant. Grey or white are the 'finer' grades. 3M makes
the product, and your hardware store sells it.

The scrubbies shed less than the 'real' steel wool, and the sheddings cause
fewer problems when they do. Steel, in a moist environment, will blacken
and/or stain, particularly with a red oak, which is rich in tannic acid.

It's not a huge problem - only a minor one, or none at all.

And yes, you 'apply' the wax with the synthetic steel wool. Pretty easy to
do.

Enjoy.

Patriarch