Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

Default best glue for new chair joints?

Gorilla glue is a bad idea because of clean-up. Titebond 2 will provide
adequate strength if the joints are milled properly (snug but not real tight
dry-fit) but you might consider Titebond III. Its more expensive and you
don't need the water-proof property but is gives you a longer open time
(about 15 vrs 5 minutes if I remember correctly.) Tiebond also makes a
slow-set but in my experience its not as readily available as the Type III.

"david blumberg" wrote in message
t...
Hi,

I am building 4 mission style high chairs in red oak for the kitchen
counter. There are about 50 mortise and tenon joints in each one,
counting the spindles.

I have seen so many wobbly chairs in my life I am wondering if there is
a preferred glue to use in the joints. I use Titebond 2 as a rule, and
dont care for the foaming Gorilla glues, but would the expansion
characteristics of those be what I need?

thanks,

david