Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default replace grindstone wheels or new bench grinder?

long ironer wrote:
Opinions please.

Subject: Sealey 1/2hp 150mm bench grinder, vintage late 80s, with fine
& coarse wheels, both 19mm wide x 12mm bore. The coarse wheel appears
to have almost worn down to a bare steel core. It is only lightly
used & mainly for refreshing tools, but sometimes for rougher work on
steel.

The few replacement wheels I've found on the web seem to be in the
price range GBP5 to 15, but none are the exact size. However new
bench grinders appear to be available from GBP25 up to several 100s.

What's the best option?

A. New 150mm machine: advantages are new bearings (I'd hate to be
working on a grinder when the bearings fail), and at the lower cost
end price looks much the same as 2 new wheels. Any suggestions as to
make/model/power/speed rating for reasonable quality please?

B. New 200mm machine? Q - are 200mm bench grinders significantly
better than 150mm ones? Ditto as to make etc

C. Find source for replacement wheels - anyone know of a source for
bench grinder wheels please?

TIA

You could try your local Aldi first as they where selling grinder wheels
for 3.99GBP awhile back,two different sizes but cannot be sure of the size.

They still have a couple of boxes in my Aldi. Course&Fine

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite