Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default collapsed compression joints

Redeye wrote:
okay, thanks for the feedback.

i've come to the conclusion that i've followed bad advice which is
probably the cause of the problem.

Probably. You came to the right place for conflicting advice ;-)

i'd also been warned not to overtighten compression joints, but advice here seems to
suggest that isn't possible.

Definitely possible. You can overtighten it enough to damage the pipe
(and hence the joint) if you go at it like some gorilla. There's a
distinct difference between loose, tight (watertight) and overtight.

I think experience has shown you what 'loose' feels like.

anyway, i think i'll replace some of my compression joints with push
fittings in the hope of avoiding a repeat disaster (although i've got a
push fit joint leaking slightly at the moment as well !!).

I wouldn't choose pushfit over compression, especially in hot water
situations, no matter what 25 year guarantee the pushfit manufacturers
give .....

All plumbing with whatever fitting of choice takes practice. It's easy
to undertighten a compression if you've not had much experience of
them, as much as it's easy to make a bad solder joint.

Practice. Then take it apart (compression) or heat up a practice solder
joint and separate to check how well the joint has 'wetted'. Then
you'll know how much solder is enough ..

Cheers

Paul.