Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

Default old turntables

jakdedert writes:

ian field wrote:
"dallie" wrote in message
oups.com...
alright i have a very old turntable that was probably made in the
late 1960s. whenever i play a record the needle always stops moving
on the record, usually in the middle of the last song. i have tried
other records but it always stops in the same place. it feels like
there is a spring mechanism that keeps it from moving in all the way
in. so my question is what is causing this to happen, and how can i
fix it. just please dont tell me to buy one of these new ones.

Could be a jammed auto-changer trigger.

Could be wires bound up underneath or bad tonearm bearing(s)...

Mark Z.

I think Sam and a couple of others nailed it. Grease drys up and
makes things bind. The lever which trips the 'rejuct' mech' on those
old changers is definitely suspect; but I imagine the rest of the guts
are just as gummy.

For a novice, these are not the easiest things to work on. The timing
of the cams is similar in some ways to a VCR. Get it wrong upon
reassembly, and it won't work.

Just don't disasemble beyond removing the platter. Most of the other
stuff can be cleaned in-place.