Posted to rec.woodworking
Burgy

Default Drill chuck for Radial Arm Saw

I agree w/Morris, I have an old Craftsman (1972) RAS. It has a threaded
shaft on the opposite end from the blade. I thought it was neat, but soon
discovered that it is almost useless. I did use it for some small sander I
had, but it is too slow for just about anything else.

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
willshak (in ) said:

| I'm just an occasional woodworker, so I don't need a high end chuck.

I don't agree. Runout and bit retention could be problems with a cheap
3-jaw chuck. A collet holder would be a much better solution - but you
won't find routing with the spindle speed limited to sawblade RPMs
very satisfying.

If you really want/need to do routing operations, you'll almost
certainly get better results with an inexpensive router. Even for only
occasional use, it'd be worth the money spent for the router.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar