Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Lee Valley steel Straight edge

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"arw01" wrote in message

Disappointing their case was not metal. I've been wanting a metal
Starrett tape measure, will have to check them inside the package to
see if a magnet will stick before I spend the money.

Most metal tape measure cases would be die cast zinc alloy and those would
not interact with a magnet. Plastic can be a good, or even a superior
material in many instances.

BTW Starrett bought out Lufkin so these kinds of products are the old L
Lufkin designs with a Starrett sticker on them.

The only thing from LV I've been disappointed with thus far is their tape
measures I have.

I have three LV "Cabinetmaker's" tape measures and they all exhibit the same
behavior - their 'hooks' lift/slip off the workpiece more than slightly
during extension, making for erratic measurements of at least a 1/16", or
more depending upon length.

Probably not fair to bring it up in a public forum since I basically decided
to chalk it up to experience and went back to my usual Stanley twelve
footers, but I have wondered if I just have a bad run of three, or if anyone
else has noticed this?

Just looking at the way they're made, it appears to me that a fix would
involve a slightly longer hook, with the edges not quite so finished/rounded
off, and with just a touch more angle to it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06