Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

Default collapsed compression joints

The message .com
from "Redeye" contains these words:

i finished plumbing in everything in my new bathroom a couple of weeks
ago. no real problems and all went quite well. so, i was a bit
surprised to be woken at 1am on saturday to the sound of water running
and a hysterical girlfriend. it appears that one of the compression
joints has spontaneously exploded, allowing mains pressure water to go
everywhere. fortunately no real damage done, just a lot of mopping up
to do downstairs.

Comiserations. Happened to my parents in law over Christmas. They'd not
even moved into the house fully - just had new carpets and wallpaper
etc, and had never even seen most of it fitted. Pipe went while they
were away for a week - mains feed to loft tank came apart. Previous
owner was a plumber!

Just the electricity to dry the house out came to nearly a grand. Thank
heavens for insurance.

Anyway - never ever put PTFE tape on compression joints. They rely
solely on metal to metal contact. If the olive has slipped off the pipe
then it wasn't done up properly.

--
Skipweasel