Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default collapsed compression joints

john2 wrote:
Redeye wrote:

5. i'd put a couple of wraps of PTFE tape over the olive as i'd been
advised that this can help stop small leaks (was this my downfall?)

IANAP
Best to remove all tape, provided the fittings are clean, unscratched
and undamaged. Tighten until the olive just grips the pipe. Add an
extra 1/6 turn to compress the olive.
No doubt proper plumbers will disagree.

john2

Th olive should be tightened enough to permanently deform the pipe. In
practice you can keep on going till you can't go no more, but somewhere
in between 'just leakproof' and 'fully home' is a happy medium.

I am not sure how I do it, but in practice when screwing up they get
tighter and tighter and then they don't get any harder to turn at
all.that mean you are now deforming the copper, not taking up the slack,
and its time to stop..or add that 1/6th turn for good luck.