Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf

Default 3-phase: how to tell amperage/voltage?

A three phase plug is usually a twist plug with 4 prongs.

Also look at the motor data plates on the machine tools. They will tell you
the voltage and if it is single or 3 phase.

Also if it is on campus they probably have an electrician on staff and you
could ask him. You might need a dedicated circuit.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?
"Bernard Arnest" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

After an 8-month-long search, I may finally have found a space
on campus for a forge.

For my forge I want a hydraulic press, which = power hungry

The room is shared by a bridgeport mill, a lathe, and a metal
bandsaw, which I'm told run on 3-phase.

I'm new to this. I know that with standard household power, all
outlets are 15amp, unless one contact is turned 90 degrees, and then
you know it's 20amps.

I'll visit the shop again tomorrow or tuesday and examine it
more closely. How do I tell the voltage and amperage of this 3-phase
circuit, so I know how much I can load onto it? The press would
benefit from a 5-10 hp motor, so I need to know if it could handle that
power. How do I find out; are there specific plug types to recognize--
if you even use plugs?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest