Posted to rec.woodworking
Fred Toewe

Default Insulating a drop ceiling...

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

I wouldn't use Styrofoam period. Not enough insulation value to offset
the
fire issues. Not enough insulation value period .

It is R4 per inch. There are no fire issues if installed properly. The
material is treated with a fire retardant and will not support combustion

on
its own. Foam drop out ceiling tiles are REQUIRED when a dropped ceiling

is
installed below a sprinkler system.

Well I'm educated then. I didn't realize that Styrofoam could be treated
not to support combustion. Nor did I realize it was R4 per inch. That
leaves most of what I said pretty damned irrelevant. Going back into my
room and sulk a bit now.

--

-Mike-

Regardless of the insulation value of the Styrofoam, putting 'normal' batts
between the third floor joists does make a lot of sense. It's up out of the
way so that if you do decide to remove the drop ceiling now or later after
your daughter starts to voice her opinions, you won't have to redo the whole
job over again.

I recommend strongly against laying batts on top of the drop ceiling tiles -
that is a royal pain the in the butt, both to do and later on WHEN, not if,
you need to raise a ceiling tile to replace it, to make alterations, etc.
Been there and did not like it.

Cheers