Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default What does a good gib and adjuster look like?

Gary, are you sure the jibs aren't turned over? The "only a thin strip
comes in contact with the opposing dovetail instead of staying parallel to
the opposing dovetail" comment may indicate the jibs are in upside-down.

Bob Swinney

"Gary H" wrote in message
. com...
Hi. I have one of those Chinese mini-mills. I know it has its
shortcomings but I just tinker around in my garage so it is OK for me.
However, the gibs seem hard to adjust... but since I don't have a real
machine to compare it to, I don't know how bad it is. I would potentially
like to improve the gibs and adjustment screws if possible. Could some
one send a picture or describe how the gibs adjusters work on a nice
quality machine?

The Chinese mini-mill has gib strips with small dimples in them. The gib
adjustment set screws are pilot dog set screws that ride in those dimples.
Pretty simple. Unfortunately, for some reason, the gibs tend to tilt and
and having the entire gib strip act as a wear area. I hope that makes
sense and I look forward to hearing how the good machines do this.

Thanks,
Gary