Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

Default Musing about turned designs. When do they begin and how do theyend?

I know some of the pluses, minuses and probable reasons for each
approach, but what I don't know is what some of you guys do and if you
consistently follow one approach. If you do, how do you stick to it and
why?

People use a variety of methods to solve problems. We learn most of our problem
solving skills as children. We alter these as we learn what works and doesn't
work. It is not uncommon for a person to have only one or two problem solving
methods. Some of the methods a

Play until the outcome is pleasing to us or someone else
Use published plans
Copy other work
Think what someone else would like
Ask someone else to design the shape
Apply aesthetic principles (i.e. form, texture, negative space, color, golden
mean, balance, contrast, etc.)
Use design shortcuts (i.e. always use catenary curves)
Create a problem statement, "A 16" bowl suitable for a corporate gift that can
be used to hold dried flower arrangements on the boardroom table."
Use craft methods (i.e. I have a beading tool, therefore all my bowls will have
beads)
Be superstitious (i.e. 'listen to the wood')

My training is industrial design, which is taught in art and design school, so I
lean toward applying aesthetic principles, looking at the grain, visualizing the
grain pattern in the finished piece. I often sketch the form, sometimes dozens
of sketches for a single bowl, sometimes none. (hint: never erase!) Sometimes
I'll create a metaphor for the piece, as in "I want it to look canoe-like, but
with a pagoda feel." Other times I'll take the last bowl and modify it
slightly. Perhaps because the next blank has different dimensions, or perhaps
to remove what I didn't like about the previous bowl, or to add some new
element. I don't stick to one method, I'll use one or more of my design tools.
To me, it is valuable to have more than one problem solving tool in my tool box.

Remember, "If it doesn't add, it WILL detract."

Dan