Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

Default OT - Extreme Makeover Home Edition?

"MJ" writes:

onsite for the entire time. The biggest noise that came out of it was
the
that the house was appraised at a tax level MORE (obviously) then the
original house. Here in Calif, we have Prop 13. Your tax level remains
at level
until 1) you change owners or 2) remodel. The family was a bit put out
about
the taxes. Not sure if they got some relief. The show claims that there

The families should realize when they apply for the show that their
property value will go up and thus the taxes will go up. I guess in some
cases the family did not nominate themselves. In probably 50% of the
cases, the family gets a large check that should cover the taxes for a
number of years.

A bigger concern could be the income taxes on the new house. Wouldn't
the states and the IRS consider the added value of the new house as
income and send the family a large tax bill?

Brian Elfert