Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default When to use Iscar vs. Aloris?

Mark Main wrote:
A friend recommended that I look at the Iscar Self Grip Cutoff tool and
so I went to the www.iscar.com site; they have lots of different types
and styles and so I was wondering if anyone has some advice regarding
some of the better Iscar tools vs. the Aloris ones.

One thing that looks VERY interesting from Iscar are some tools that
have coolant holes built in: e.g. [SGFH-K] Self-Grip blades with
internal coolant holes for parting and grooving; and the [GEHIMR/L-SC
or GEHIR/L-SC] internal machining boring carbide bar with a coolant
hole.

Their site is not very good at explaining what's needed to use the
coolant feature on these tools; e.g. special holder and/or pump.

Iscar were at one time the best part off tools and tips going.Not
anymore.There are cheaper tips out there that do a better job.We run
multispindles as well as cnc and used to run SGFH blades with GFN3
tips.Each machine used 5 tips a shift parting off 40 mm dia EN1A at
1200 rpm at about 0.006" rev.We change the tip after a 1000 pieces.When
the price went to $10.62 a tip we tested other makes and ended up with
Ceratizit at $7.20 a tip.Same speeds and feeds but a lot less fumes
from the neat oil coolant.Nowadays we don`t use Iscar for
anything,mainly Sandvik,Tizit,Stellram and a bit of Mitsubishi.
Most of our parting off is not bigger than 3" dia. and we don`t use
through coolant.
regards,Mark.