Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default Jet mini opinions: VS or not?

In article ,
Prometheus wrote:

Couldn't say- I've just got the Delta Version, with an 8" swing over
the bed. I think it's 16" between centers. When I looked up the Jet
mini on Amazon, it said 14"- though it wasn't really specific about
what that referred to.

I hesitate to reply to this size thing - beating a dead steed and all -
but I want it to be clear to those who may come across this thread in
the future.

The Jet Mini and Delta Midi are both 10" swing lathes - the between
center distances vary by a couple inches as I recall, but when speaking
of lathes, most folks cite the swing dimension -- especially given the
fact that both the Mini and Midi have extension beds available that
would change the reference dimension if we kept citing between center
distance.

I originally wanted to clarify the 14" reference Mac made to his lathe
because Jet does make a 1442 lathe with a 14" swing but the discussion
was about the Jet Mini with the 10" swing.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.