Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

Default For outdoor redwood chair: polyurethane? oil? ???

Finished a redwood gate with General Finishes Outdoor oil. I left the
partial can with the client and told him to refresh the finish if it started
looking a bit dry. He didn't but 2 and a half years later he told me he was
unhappy with the finish. When I asked why he replied it wasn't turning that
nice silver-grey color like redwood is supposed to. I think it is an
excellant product.

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 May 2006 17:09:18 GMT, "Ron Magen"
wrote:

The Redwood that is often seen is typically finished with a 'stain' that

is
more akin to a paint. This is for protection from UV radiation. I am an
inveterate 'scrounger' in my quest to save money, so often 're-use for
another purpose' items that other people throw out. In one specific case

it
was a pair of 'Redwood Picnic Benches' - with folding aluminum legs. They
were obviously several years old, and were given no maintenance at all.

The
finish was mostly intact but really 'sunburnt'. Where the finish had

flaked
off the wood was gray and either rotted out or 'punky' . . . as it was

UNDER
a lot of the finish !!

It sounds like the biggest danger is from the sun and UV rather than
the rain or other weather factors. We live in Palo Alto, California.
Neither the temperature nor the humidity vary a lot.

--
For email, use