Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Default Polishing old wooden furniture

Tim S wrote:

I thought I'd give the bookshelf a buff up before putting it upstairs, so
I bought some carnauba/beeswax and tried some out on top. Shined up nicely
by hand, except for one area, where there seems to be a surface deposit of
something hard that looks like bloom. I can scratch this off with my nail.

So I think I should clean it up with something before attempting to
polish. Not much wrong with the item, no deep scratches or stains - so I
don't really want to strip it completely.

SWMBO reckons it's soot - I think she might be right... Vinegar didn't touch
it so I'm off the carefully experiment with white spirit on an
inconspicuous bit...

Cheers

Tim