Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

Default Washing machines that are built like commercial machines?

On Sat, 06 May 2006 23:55:43 GMT, Ignoramus21474
wrote:

On Sat, 06 May 2006 12:38:11 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 6 May 2006 11:48:29 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leon"
quickly quoth:

Many years ago Vance Packard in his book 'The Wastemakers', which was
about planned obsolescence, recommended Maytag as the only washing
machine that was properly made.

Many years ago, that was true. 4 years ago, I bought a Magic Chef
(division of Maytag) washer and dryer because they were Maytags and
were $300 a pair less than the stainless-tubbed Maytag set. They
delivered them the next day. When the installer ran them for me, I
immediately complained about the flat tires on the dryer. He said that
was standard on all of them, Maytags included, but if I wanted, he'd
order new rollers and install them free. He did so, but while doing
so, he leaned his knee into the top of the washer. It dented, so he
ordered a new one for me. A couple weeks later, the washer motor fried
so he installed those two parts together, when they came in.

I felt the weight of the new appliances, too. They're half the weight
of a 30-year-old machine with paper-thin sheetmetal. Horrible!

Also they are very unpleasant to work on.

I will never buy Maytag again.

If you think a Maytag is unpleasant to work on then I feel sorry for
you. I've worked on a number of different washing machines and one of
the reasons I liked the Maytag was that it was by far the easiest that
I've ever worked on.