Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Lapping nylon

wrote:

Folks,

I'm attempting to fit a 1.5 inch nylon cylinder into a 1 inch diameter
metal sleeve. The nylon will act as a piston for my spring piston
pellet gun. I've heard for years that auto engine pistons are lap
fitted for each cylinder and would like to give it a try. Could someone
give me the basic idea of how this might be done for nylon?

Thanks

Tut

Poor choice of material, a high durometer rated Urethane would be far
better. It'll last far longer. It will also not change dimension with
the changes in relative humidity.

Poor choice of methods too. You need a lathe and a very sharp cutting
tool to get a decent surface finish on your nylon. About US$500 could
get you well equipped.

You might try over at yelowforum.com and check through the posts there.
From there go to the bulldurum forum, available from the pulldown at the
top of the first one given.

The only pistons I know of that are lap fitted are on model engines.

Cheers
Trevor Jones