Joe

Default Gingery Lathe Bed alternative.

Hi Dave...
Looking at the plans the screws for the ways are placed at 1/2" and 81/2"
from both ends respectively..
I was thinking that by drilling a 1/2" hole on the bottom of the bed, at
these measurements, you could get a small 1/4" rachet with an extention with
deep socket, into the hollow bed, for the 3/8" lock nuts for the screws of
the bed..
The screws can be 3/8" -1/2" inch longer to act as 'rebar' for the
concrete.
On the bottom of the bed, thread 3/8 3/4"-1" screws into the tube to also
act as 'rebar'.
Also use 1/4"X2" tubing for the base and 1/4"X2" flat for the feet..
Do the base as you would the bed..
Weld 'caps to both ends to make a finished look.
Any thoughts or suggestion?
Thanks..Josh

"Dave Keith" wrote in message
Given the problems we had casting the bed, alternatives might be a good
idea. It would also eliminate the need for the feet. I think that a 2" x
3" would be required to get the clearance needed for the leadscrew

bearings
and cross-slide. Note also that there are several other castings that can

be
eliminated in favor of flat stock.

I've been thinking of doing this myself to make a longer lathe (need 32"
c-c or so) for pool cue work.

Dave

"Joe" wrote in message
Hi..
I was wondering if anybody had built the Gingery lathe and if they had
used alternative methods for the lathe bed.
Looking at the plans I was wondering if CRS 2"X1/4" square tubing for

the
bed would be ok if filled with concrete to absord vibration?
I was thinking just to mount the ways directly to the bed after

scraping
with lock nuts inside.
Some have pointed out that if one needs to take apart the ways you
could'nt. But I see no reason to take off the ways if done right and

would
probably outlast me..: P
Main thing I am concerned with is would CRS and concrete would absord
vibration and make a good bed?
Thanks in advance..Joe