Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default electrocuted

On Sat, 06 May 2006 04:39:35 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

mm wrote:
Not at home, but tonight in Baltimore, a girl was tying her shoe and
had her foot on the 12 or 15 foot fence behind home plate of a
softball field, and she was electrocuted (to death). On tv, one could
see an electric wire that must have run above the fence, lying on the
fence.

I don't know if the wire ran above the fence when the wire wasn't
sagging, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Uhh. Electrocute means killed; don't need to add
it. Kind of like saying killed dead. Strange how
people don't know that some words mean the person
died, e.g.,"drown," "smothered," etc.

More strange and to the point is how a live wire
on a metal fence (chain link) that is grounded

Yes, it was chain link, and fwiw taller and wider than such things
were when I was little.

through the fence and the supports in the ground,
sends electricity through the person touching the
fence. You would think the electricity would
travel the path of least resistance. But,

Absolutely. I didn't even think of that this time, but I even asked
about this here once, about why would, as in Goldfinger, a heater
thrown in a tub electrocute someone when the quickest path to the
ground seemed to be through the water to the drain. Or if the drain
wasn't a ground, what would be?

Surely the fence poles in the ground made a better ground than the
rubber sole of her sneakers. Or even a leather sole. It hasn't even
rained for days.

certainly lightening travels in strange ways.