Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT

Default OT - Extreme Makeover Home Edition?

Have you noticed how many people in "dire straights" with no money to repair
their little shack, show up on the program with the latest $150.00 hairdos,
jewellery, $50.00 manicures and the latest fashion ready to go on their
"vacation" while they get a new house built for nothing. Some looked genuine
in their need, others look like they are taking the show producers on a scam
to get a new house.

"ghost" wrote in message
wrote:
I don't know if you think the same way I do about this reality show?

I work for an architect firm and even the best designer here will take
several days before making up his mind and finalize a project as simple
as a bathroom remodel. Now we're talking of redesigning a complete
house (and not a small one) for a client the designer(s) don't even
know in the first place. Just the construction alone of a 300K$ is
nearly impossible in a week even if you staff it with 10 000 workers.
You reach a point where the number of worker becomes a nuisance and
slows down the entire project. Plaster, paint, varnishes and all those
products need time to dry too.

I think this TV show lies to the public at least on one aspect: they
have work prepared already before showing up at the door of the lucky
family. The design and the construction dwgs are already made minus
maybe a few details, the prefab house has been ordered already and
ready to ship, etc.

What do you guys believe?

Cyberben

Several things have bothered me.. no argument that the people they choose
deserve the help, but to go from 'poverty' to 'mansion' in a neighbourhood
of far less value homes.. why not expand the area and spread the funds
around a bit..

Speaking of which.. with the resources available to them, I was surprised
that except for one program, they could have applied their manpower and
resources to alleviate a lot of the gulf coast destruction.

Given their on going efforts to out do themselves with million dollar
mansions, I seldom watch the program anymore..

C D Patterson
Victoria, BC. Canada