Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default How to use a RAS planer head?

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news:OWH6g.1$OF6.0@trnddc06...
Toller wrote:
I just bought one at a garage sale. Oddly, it is not mentioned in the
instruction book that came with it.

All I can figure is that it goes on in place of the blade; the arbor
nut goes into the head and then the head is screwed on with the nut
in place. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like the arbor is too
long; does it require a spacer?
Thanks.

Don't know exactly why I want it, but for $2...

You just wasted $2...

When/if you try it, take very shallow cuts no more than 1/2 the diameter
of
the planer wide. Then be prepared to spend hours smoothing the *very*
rough
cuts.

I tried it out today. Mine goes on in place of the blade.
Yeh, it is slow, extremely messy and leaves a pretty rough surface. But it
work!

Maybe it would be useful on something too irregular to go through a planer,
but a power hand planer wouldn't leave a flat enough surface. Maybe it is
completely useless. Only time will tell.