Posted to misc.consumers.house
Alan Sung

Default Need help with a riding mower that won't start

wrote in message
I have further analyzed my engine's performance and have more
information. Actually, after running the engine for an extended
period of time, the following happens:

If I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and try to start it with the
throttle about 1/2 way and choke out all the way, it will start.
However, it only runs a 2-3 seconds and stops. I have tried all
choke and throttle positions and this seems to be the only thing that
will start. However, as said above, it stops. I have tried leaving
the choke out and pushing it back in quickly.

I have checked the fuel lines and they seem to be ok. The fuel lines
run close to the engine. I did not know that aluminum foil would keep
heat away from the line. I thought it was a heat conducter.

The 5-10 minutes allows just a tiny bit of fuel to make it to the carb so
you are able to start it but since there is not sufficient fuel flow, it
stalls out within the 2 or 3 seconds.

The easiest/cheapest thing you can do is to change the fuel filter if you
haven't done so recently. Get a clear plastic one so you can see the fuel in
it.

The aluminum foil is set up as a heat shield, not wrapped tightly around
things.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA