Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Robert Gammon wrote:

Ok, we all accept that the act of crossing the border without permission
is an illegal act.

The question is, what do we do about it?

Once here, very very few EVER do anything to hurt anyone or anyone's
property.

Nonsense.

All of us are paying higher auto insurance rates because of the large number
of illegal aliens driving without any insurance. Or licenses. They
bring their third-world driving habits with them, too, resulting in higher
accident rates.

Prove it. Point to statistics from the Auto Insurance companies that
uninsured motorists from third world countries have a higher
proportional accident rate than long term residents/citizens in the USA.

The number that smuggle in drugs, incests (knowingly or
unknowingly), disease, etc. is also quite small.

You must live in a small town.

4th largest in the USA, Houston TX.

Ok, if you 50 people to cross the border illegally with 2 pounds each of
some illegal drug in their guts, you have 100lbs of the stuff. pack
that same amount into a small aircraft or hide it inside a crate of good
coming in thru air or sea, and you have LESS risk of discovery, less
risk of contamination of the product, and lower costs of importation
plus instead of 100lbs, you can bring in 1000lbs or more a week

Drug smuggling is a BIG time business and the small amounts that a
single person could carry across is not worth very much to the folks
that move tons of stuff a year on aircraft and boats.

You haven't thought that one through very far, have you?

Sure, one guy can't carry very much on his person. But how much can he put in
the trunk of his car?

Undocumented illegals DO NOT COME ACROSS IN AUTOMOBILES EXCEPT AS HIDDEN
CARGO!! Have you ever watched what goes on at the border crossings with
Mexico AND Canada? I have seen both, and cars/vans do get REGULARLY
searched. Citizens of the USA are FAR more likely to attempt to carry
across drugs than illegal immigrants.

I suggest that you talk to a Border Partol officer about what they
expect to see from the Mexicans or Canadians, tens of thousands of which
LEGALLY cross our border EVERY single day.

I have also seen what appeared to be an auto/truck repair vehicle down
near Brownsville headed north then make a violent turn to turn south and
stop, 8-10 people then emerged from the guts of the truck bed, each with
a small sack and a jug of water and ran to the woods/fireld that
bordered the road. The truck then fled south, and a few minutes later
Border Patrol vehicles were screaming north with sirens and lights flashing.
Now multiply that by a couple million times a year.

So again, the question is what do we do about it???

If they obey the law while they're here, nothing. And that means *all* of our
laws, including having a valid license, registration, and insurance before
driving _one_inch_ on a public road, and paying taxes on their wages just
like the rest of us do. Those that break the law should be deported the
instant we figure out where they came from.

There are those who argue for IMMEDIATE deportation of ALL those who
violate immigration law. The US Border Patrol puts hundreds of people
a day if not thousands of people a day back across the border. The
borders are LONG and sparsely populated.

That's why we need a fence along that border.

Once here, it is DIFFICULT to
find the undocumented immigrant as they SPREAD OUT all across the USA.
This will be an EXPENSIVE process, just to collect and export the
undocumented workers.

See above -- as long as they're obeying the law, leave them alone.

There are those who argue for complete amnesty as these are, by and
large, economic refugees who make a large and valuable contribution to
the USA economy.

Nonsense. They're a net *drain* on the economy. Measure the amount of social
services that the illegals consume. Look at the hospitals in California that
are closing because they can't afford to keep treating people that can't pay,
but aren't allowed under Federal law to turn them away.

Amnesty has a price as it then says OK, we don't care
who comes across our borders.

Right, that's why it's a bad idea. It didn't work in the 1980s, and it won't
work now.

And we have the status quo. That is, the US Border Patrol catches those
that it can and deports them. It raids businesses that have a history of
using undocumented workers, imposing fines and exporting the
undocumented workers. They try to get more employees and a bigger
budget from Congress, and depending on the whims of the political
process, they get it or not.

*That* is the right place to start: *enforce* the laws already on the books
that prohibit hiring illegal aliens.

The Border Patrol has a thankless job. They have to concentrate their
efforts along the Canadian and Mexican borders and at airports with
international flights. An economic refugee who make his/her way to
Smallville Nebraska (you name it for a town anywhere thats 500 miles
away from the border, has no international airport) and the risk that
they will EVER get caught and deported is very small. Even in Houston
TX area where we have 10s of thousands of such, the risk of detection is
small.