Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default electrocuted

"Toller" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Okay, the new article confirms it happened; so obviously it is

possible...
But the resistance through both shoes and the ground has to be many many
times the resistance though the fence. You are certain correct that the
current is split up among the available paths, but unless it was 100a I

just
can't see her path would be enough.
Unless of course she was standing in mud and the fence was completely dry.
Or unless it was a 4000v line.

I did not see the kind of fence, so it could have been insulated from the
ground. It does not take 100a to kill. Just about anything from 10 to 20
miliamps up can kill. From the sound of the artical she did not die right
away but had breathing difficulties. To me this indicates that the shock
may have set the heart into an irrigular beat. The 60 hz current is
especially dangerous as this is around the same as the heart beats. Low
currents are often more dangerous as the higher currents will tend to make
your mussles contract and throw you off the wire or clamp the heart so it
will not go into the irrgular beats that do not pump the blood.
Unless the current is very high and burns the person, if CPR was started,
the girl may have survived.