Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Ok, we all accept that the act of crossing the border without permission
is an illegal act.

The question is, what do we do about it?

Once here, very very few EVER do anything to hurt anyone or anyone's
property. The number that smuggle in drugs, incests (knowingly or
unknowingly), disease, etc. is also quite small.

Drug smuggling is a BIG time business and the small amounts that a
single person could carry across is not worth very much to the folks
that move tons of stuff a year on aircraft and boats.

So again, the question is what do we do about it???

There are those who argue for IMMEDIATE deportation of ALL those who
violate immigration law. The US Border Patrol puts hundreds of people
a day if not thousands of people a day back across the border. The
borders are LONG and sparsely populated. Once here, it is DIFFICULT to
find the undocumented immigrant as they SPREAD OUT all across the USA.
This will be an EXPENSIVE process, just to collect and export the
undocumented workers.

There are those who argue for complete amnesty as these are, by and
large, economic refugees who make a large and valuable contribution to
the USA economy. Amnesty has a price as it then says OK, we don't care
who comes across our borders.

And we have the status quo. That is, the US Border Patrol catches those
that it can and deports them. It raids businesses that have a history of
using undocumented workers, imposing fines and exporting the
undocumented workers. They try to get more employees and a bigger
budget from Congress, and depending on the whims of the political
process, they get it or not.