Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Musing about turned designs. When do they begin and how do theyend?

I'm musing here about one-offs or at least about an initial pattern, not
about production runs or ethical copies.

I know there are books and computer programs to help us turn forms that
adhere to classic principles of pleasing design. I know that some
craftsmen/artists carefully study and often make drawings of their
intended designs before actually turning them. I know that some turners
have a general idea of the form they plan to turn and I know that some
turners just fasten a blank to the headstock and plan to turn a generic
vase or open bowl or whatever without a precise image of the ultimate
form in their mind. The degree of planning a design and sticking to it
vs listening to the wood's advice and going with the flow differs for
each of us.

I know some of the pluses, minuses and probable reasons for each
approach, but what I don't know is what some of you guys do and if you
consistently follow one approach. If you do, how do you stick to it and
why?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter