Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default When to use Iscar vs. Aloris?

Mark Main wrote:

A friend recommended that I look at the Iscar Self Grip Cutoff tool and
so I went to the www.iscar.com site; they have lots of different types
and styles and so I was wondering if anyone has some advice regarding
some of the better Iscar tools vs. the Aloris ones.

One thing that looks VERY interesting from Iscar are some tools that
have coolant holes built in: e.g. [SGFH-K] Self-Grip blades with
internal coolant holes for parting and grooving; and the [GEHIMR/L-SC
or GEHIR/L-SC] internal machining boring carbide bar with a coolant
hole.

Their site is not very good at explaining what's needed to use the
coolant feature on these tools; e.g. special holder and/or pump.

Coolant through the tool is a prominent feature of CNC machines. Since
you do not know about that, chances are pretty good that they amount to
a feature you do not need to spend money on.

My two bits is to contact a local (if there is one) tool seller and ask.
They are usually pretty conversant with the product lines they carry,
and can recomend a particular size or series of tool for the uses you
are likely to put it to.

FWIW I use either Iscar or Sandvik cutoff fools at work with no
preference between them, on lathes 12 to 18 inch swing. We only have the
one size, and only the one width insert (.093) and it meets our needs.
IIRC both brands of holders are using the same inserts.

Cheers
Trevor Jones